Wednesday, January 21, 2015

How to get from "I Can't" to "I will try"

How to get from "I Can't" to "I will try"


In the world, there exists two groups of people...people that say, "I can't" and people that say, "I'll try".  Plain and simple, there is nothing else.  

Henry Ford famously said, “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”  Like other topics I have posted about, this is no different.  It all boils down to confidence and a belief in yourself.
My posts on being scared, being a non-believer, and  believing in yourself, all talk about a mindset.

New and different things are scary to people.  Technology is no different.  I hear excuses all the time:
  • This just won't work.
  • It is too hard.
  • I'm not comfortable with change.
  • I don't have time to learn something new.
It takes a tremendous amount of energy to make excuses and not try, but it only takes a small effort to try something new.  

Here is a nice approach to trying something new for 30 days, TED talk by Matt Cutts.  The approach is quite simple.  Try something out each day for 30 days.  At the end of 30 days, you can then make a decision about how useful that approach is.

Today, I watched teachers willing to try by using Google Classroom.  They had the right attitude.  They were willing to try, even though it was new and different.  They introduced it to their students, and modeled how to access a Google Doc and publish their writing.  In the next few days, they will introduce students to sharing their work, asking for feedback, providing feedback to a peer and communicating through the Google Doc with their teacher.  

Here is link to a nice resource on how you can try new things.  


2 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly! We can't get to better without that learning stance. Can't wait to see how the work emerges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you hear a person say, "I can't..." ask them "What stops you?"

    ReplyDelete