Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Best thing I do...in my work

As part of the #EduStory, I am writing about "What is the best thing you do in your classroom/school/district/job? from ".


This is a very good question, but to be fair, I need to explain my job first.  I have a terrific job.  I am the CIO (Chief Information Officer), Director of Technology, and a district level administrator involved in many projects across the district, some pertaining to technology, some pertaining to instruction.  Each and every day is unique.  Some days, I work with teachers implementing new technology such as iPads, or Google Classroom, while on other days, I work with building administrators as they decipher and decode data from standardized assessments such as NWEA's MAP assessments

I recently blogged about the way to get from "I can't" to "I will try" and also here, as I experienced a group of teachers willing to try something new to solve a problem they were facing.  In that case, we used Google Classroom as a way to solve their publishing issues.  I went to their school several times last week to check on their progress.  The first day I went, each teacher spent time to show students how to log into their Google accounts, then to join their classrooms.  I enjoyed being there as the "tech support".  

I returned a couple of days later to see how much of their persuasive essays were completed and to see how things were going.  



I also look at this #Edustory a little bit differently than it is presented in the question.  I don't just do things at work.  I "get to" do things.  There is an important distinction in the mindset of how you think about the things that you do on a regular basis.  Here was a recent blog post on that distinction.

This became the best thing I get to do by far.  Before I became a school and district administrator, I was a classroom teacher.  Each and every day, I would be reminded of the amazing things that I got to do, most notably, share my passion for science with my students so that they left my class each day with a piece of me.  As a school and district administrator, those moments of satisfaction, knowing that you have made a difference in someone's life become more distant and less likely.  Working with the teachers and students on the Google Classroom, allowed me to walk away knowing that I was making a difference.

I know that each teacher now has a new skill and tool to use with their students.  I also know that the students can be engaged in their writing like never before.  It was a pleasure seeing them engaged in writing and so excited to use a tool like Google.  I left that building with a big smile.  I will return again this week to see how they have progressed.  This coming week, each student will share his/her writing with a partner.  They will then share comments, feedback and suggestions to each other.  I cannot wait to talk to them about this process.  

Next up...working with 7th grade teachers using Google Classroom in the same way.  I hope they will embrace it the same way...fingers crossed.


Follow me @brian_seligman

No comments:

Post a Comment